Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Surviving




Title: Surviving
Author: J.L. Sprague
Genre: Romance / Suspense
Living in a world where there are only lows and never highs, Jenna’s memory has trained itself to forget. Forgetting the bad was never a problem for Jenna until she forgets the one memory she never should have forgotten.
Landon has never forgotten, even when he desperately wishes he could. She haunts him. By chance they meet again but Jenna still does not remember Landon. What Landon doesn’t know is that Jenna has secrets. Secrets that change everything.
Their love for one another is the only thing that can heal years of abuse – for both of them.
When tragedy strikes memories are triggered and Jenna’s whole world changes.
Can Landon help Jenna survive at the hands of a madman?

Book Excerpt

The air was getting thicker and my eyes were starting to burn. Through my shirt I took a deep calming breath, trying to relax my body. Making it downstairs I still couldn’t see any flames but it was uncomfortably hot and smoke filled every inch I looked. I knew the way out, I just wasn’t sure at this point where the fire was. I had to be cautious, but I needed to hurry. It had only been about five seconds since I made it down the stairs and I knew I needed to drop to the floor and crawl but I was terrified I wouldn’t make it out in time if I did. Running towards the closest exit, I struggled not to trip over myself. The front door, my exit, looked like a heaven send as I quickly tapped on the handle to check if it was hot to touch or not. Satisfied I wouldn’t be burned I grabbed the handle, turned, and pulled. But it wouldn’t budge. I tried again…and nothing. I tried locking and unlocking, pulling and tugging, but nothing worked. The door was stuck. I started coughing, trying to clear my throat as I almost started to panic. What was with the door? I tried both hands again then started banging at the door calling out for help.

It had still only been moments since I came down the stairs but I knew exactly where the flames were coming from now, Granny’s old bedroom.
It was then I heard laughter outside the back door. Yes, laughter. I wanted to scream at whoever
was laughing in my time of need, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t do anything. My mind flew to my childhood as I was tortured in one way or another. I remembered clearly in that moment some of my worst childhood moments, making me immobile. I was no longer in my Granny’s burning-down home, but in my childhood kitchen. I was about ten years old wondering what I did this time to be standing so close to the stove, unable to move. The oven door had to stay open for just a little longer. If I allowed myself to have a visible burn I would go without dinner for the rest of the week. I didn’t relish in not eating when I was already so hungry. It was summertime and I wasn’t getting a good meal for breakfast or lunch, therefore I yearned for dinner, the one meal I knew I could eat. I was so hot. I needed to get away from the stove but my time wasn’t up yet.
A loud cracking noise pulled me from my stupor…

My 5 Star Review
This was a great story.
Jenna's mind forgot as a defense mechanism. Someone wants to make sure she never remembers. Landon can't forget but only knows her name. When they meet again will Landon be able to help her put the pieces together and if he does, will he lose her forever?  
Honestly it took me a few chapters to get used to the author's writing style but once I did it was a great story. I will be looking for more titles by Ms. Sprague. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a good book.


Author Bio
J.L. Sprague loves dark chocolate covered almonds and her life is pretty much one big dark chocolate covered almond, sweet on the outside and crunchy goodness on the inside. Family takes up the biggest portion of her day and book boyfriends take up the other portion. If she can’t find a good book boyfriend, then she just creates one and the writing portion of her day begins.
Outside of family, reading, writing and eating dark chocolate covered almonds, J.L. Sprague loves music and the outdoors. She studied Music Education in college, then changed her mind after three very long years to study Criminal Justice. Finally, after studying and studying she realized that reading and writing were more her forte. After starting her family with her crazy, supportive husband, she started doing what she loved, writing.

SURVIVING is J.L. Sprague’s first novel but it’s not her last. She has some very interesting ideas that you may love or hate. Whether you love or hate her stories, through all the twists and turns, there will always be a happily ever after.

Links


No comments:

Post a Comment